Thursday, April 9, 2009

Second update from Benhameen







Hey my peeps. So this update thing has been harder than anticipated, mainly because we´ve been nonstop traveling or not in the right kind of place to use the internet. Not that I´m excusing myself, but...
Also, recent, shall we say, problems, have distracted me and I haven´t been able to pry myself away from resolving them. You see, originally we were set to take a ferry to Rome yesterday and then go home tomorrow....but now it´s looking like we´re flying out on a different day, from a different city! Plus I got sick (so much for my ¨supergenes¨). But that is another story for later....
Back to the grand narrative. Stacy is writing about Lagos, of course, and Sagres, where I had my little drunken scooter accident...just kidding, I wasn´t drunk, it was just really windy, I swear! I still don´t know how Stacy managed to hop off so fast, seeing as we were only going about 5 km per hour (around 3.1 miles an hour) and we were in a parking lot. One second she was behind me, and in a fraction of a second, she was off and standing calmly beside me as I helplessly crashed into the pole. I can´t be sure about this - lord knows that I don´t go for all that ESP nonsense - but I think somehow she must have had the second sight - you know, the SHINE - like, somehow, she KNEW that in the parking lot, a freak gust of wind would make pointless all of my efforts to control the front end of the scooter and have its way with me and my vehicle.
Enough said about that. The 80 euros I had to shell out for the front end damage still cuts too deep.
We were in Lagos for alnost five days, though, so Stacy has her work cut out for her. I hope she mentions Sarah and Phil, two of the nicest Canadians anyone could share an impossibly huge burger in a Portuguese reggae bar with (and also we beat them handily at foos-ball!) I kinda wish we could have gone along to Chefchouan, Morocco with them. But ah well, such is life!
On to Seville and Granada (and back to Seville). Of all our interminable bus rides on this trip, the one we took from Lagos, Portugal along the Algarve Coast to Seville, Spain had to be the interminable-est. The trip was, to put it politely, butt-numbing. Also it was very long. Luckily for us, Seville rocked. We were only there overnight on our way to Granada (although we went back to Sevilla later to take in some Semana Santa madness) but in that short 12 hours, we ate great Middle Eastern food , enjoyed a free performance of flamenco and Spanish guitar at a cavernous bar with two fireplaces, and slept like babies in the dorms at the nicest hostel I´ve yet stayed in. We slept so well, in fact, that we didn´t wake up until 20 minutes before our bus left for Granada and had to run 20 blocks to the station. The driver was a bit peeved at our lateness and scolded us. Luckily we couldn´t understand him (they speak very, very rapid Spanish here).
What can I say about Granada? Well, I can say that I´ll have to leave that for the next update, as my time is currently up. But I´ll fill you in on the majesty of Granada in the next update, which will be tomorrow (the time we were supposed to be back). Later!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your high speed scooter crash. Sounds like you guys are having fun though. That boat tour sounded awesome. Looking forward to seeing your pictures when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, I´m surprised you haven´t moved here already especially since everyone goes into cafes to smoke and outside for fresh air.

    ReplyDelete